I’m excited about the return to the old format. Side note: Take some time to read the works of David Rakoff, who passed away yesterday. Great writing. And for laugh-like-a-crazy-person moments in your car, check out episode 2 of Harmontown, or all of them. It’s amazing. Maybe it’s just me.
1. The age I will be on my upcoming birthday is 26. In about three months. I have a feeling this will be a fun one.
2. The best birthday present ever would be pretty much anything really thoughtful. I’m not big on gifts in general, but I’m all about giving people gifts about dorky inside jokes, something small they mentioned wanting, or whatever. Honestly, it really is the thought that counts.
3. My favorite birthday to date was probably every birthday I celebrated in college, but especially my 21st (and last birthday I celebrated in Corvallis). My 23rd birthday landed on Friday the 13th, but that was just an interesting night for not exactly the best reasons.
4. Birthdays make me feel some pressure to have a gathering (and when you move around a lot and don’t make friends easily, that can be hard) and also indifferent. Especially that there are so few “milestone” birthdays ahead. I try to not have expectations. It really is just marking time.
5. The worst birthday I ever had was … I don’t think I’ve had a flat-out terrible birthday. Although like I said, 23 was interesting…
6. When I was born I was two weeks late. And it is important to note that I was born on a Thursday, not a Friday (since my day is the 13th). My brother used to torture me trying to convince me I was born on a Friday and therefore bad luck. This was before I embrace the Friday the 13th good luck powers, obviously.
7. So far my favorite age has been 25. Minus a few months, this year of life has been great, and really, it only is going to get better. Stay in the present! Or something.